A very frequent mistake is to acquire a pet impulsively because you saw one that you liked or you thought it was great and then realize that their care is very complicated, expensive or not what you expected from a pet.
Here we will give you a brief description of the different animals called exotic, so you know better with what you will find.
– Small rodents: they are easy to maintain and have few health problems if you give them good nutrition. The food is available at any pet store and is economical. You need a glass cage or aquarium suitable for the species, a river for you to exercise, a house and toys or materials to gnaw. Among the rodents, we find Syrian hamsters, dwarf hamsters, mice, gerbils, degus and rats. All but Syrian hamsters can live in groups of individuals of the same sex. They are nocturnal, but some can adapt to your schedules. Its life expectancy is between 1.5 and 5 years depending on the species. If you dedicate time and have the patience to tame them, they become adorable pets that come to you when you approach and enjoy your company. Rats are very intelligent and can learn tricks like a dog.
– Rabbits, chinchillas, guinea pigs, urchins: we group these pets because they have in common a larger size than small rodents and a life expectancy of 3-6 years for guinea pigs and urchins and 8-10 for rabbits and chinchillas. They need bigger cages and some play time outside the cage. You must feed them correctly to ensure good health and long life. Guinea pigs need vitamin C and rabbits must feed on 90% dry hay; for all of them, you can get specific feed at pet stores. Rabbits can be trained to use a sanitary tray. These pets need you to spend a little time every day to play and interact with them, so you can have a rich and pleasant relationship, except with the hedgehogs, which tolerate but do not seek contact with people.
– Ferrets: they need big cages and time to play free in the house; They can learn to use a sanitary tray. They sleep about 18 hours a day, but they are incredibly active and funny when they are awake. They usually have a characteristic smell that is annoying for some people, but there are ways to decrease it. They often steal and hide things, which are hidden in narrow places and suffer intestinal obstructions by swallowing objects. The females must be sterilized to avoid serious health problems and the males to reduce their odor. Their life expectancy is 6-8 years, although they can live until they are 11. They are carnivorous animals, but you can get feed for ferrets in some stores.
– Sugar glider: they are small, nocturnal and very sociable. They need a lot of interaction with their masters or live with a partner of the same sex from childhood. Their diet is not yet well studied, and it can be difficult to give them adequate nutrition. They can live for about ten years. They need a high cage to climb and exercise.
– Reptiles: there are many species in this category. Some are very common, like turtles; some are easy to take care of, and others are only recommended for experts. All of them are ectothermic, that is, they require an environment with a specific temperature range to perform all their vital functions. Their diets are also very specific, as there are herbivores, carnivores, and insectivores; Sometimes it is necessary to buy or breed insects or mice to feed them correctly. Their maintenance can be quite expensive; they need heat, lights with UVB radiation, calcium supplements, vitamins, and minerals. Only some are friendly and enjoy the company of humans. It is very important that you read everything you can about the species you have chosen before buying it. Keep in mind that turtles, for example, can live more than 50 years and you should be prepared to take care of it all that time. Land turtles should not live in apartments
– Amphibians: they are frogs, toads, and salamanders. They require little space, a terrarium with water and a dry part and a temperature of approximately 20ºC. They can be very pretty, with bright colors, but it is not convenient to manipulate them because their skin is very delicate. Many frogs are captured in their natural habitats, which contributes to the extinction of these species.
Whatever species you decide to adopt, always remember to inform you about your needs to be sure that you can take good care of her throughout her life and that it is really the pet that you like.